Monday, August 16, 2010

Potty Trained!!

I am pleased to announce that Hampton is potty trained! (Can you hear "The Hallelujah Chorus" in the background? Or at least "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters? I can!)

We followed a method called 3-Day Potty Training. Three Days?! Well...you know. I think he started understanding the concept at the end of the third day. But he wasn't fully potty trained in 3 days. More like five. But I'll take five days over two weeks or more any day! In the past year, I've tried to begin potty training him a few times, but he just wasn't getting it. Now, I know that I wasn't being as drastic as I needed to. You see, this method requires that on day one, you throw away all your diapers and pullups. Throw them away! No more diapers. Period. Not even at night. YIKES. Gutsy. But throughout this process I learned that DRASTIC was what we needed. If Hampton was given one opportunity to wear a diaper again, he would go back to his old ways!

Anyway, to spare you all the details, I'll sum it up by saying the first 2 days were horrible, he started seeing the light on day 3, and by day 5, I'd say we were 95% there. The last 3 days have been COMPLETELY accident-free (we're on day 11 now!), and if he has one, it's usually at naptime when he might have fallen asleep without using the bathroom. And now, he just goes to the bathroom himself. No fanfare. Just pottying like a big boy. We love it.

Now, I just have to get used to finding all the bathrooms while I'm out somewhere so when he tells me he has to go, I can quickly find one!

That's the big news in the Usher House. Nothing else interesting is going on. When something interesting comes up, I'll let you know.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment